Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loosing depth on cuts

Hi,
    I just got my new shark hd5 earlier this month and have been finally getting a chance to do some tests in the last week. I’m running into a problem where it’s not cutting the correct depth. Seems to be 1/4” shallow. I’m using VCarve desktop and it looks perfect in there. I export using this post processor: CNCShark-USB_NewArcs_inch Vcarve, Aspire and Cut 3D Post Processor (1/13/2012)

Just for reference, I tried a completely different file that I got from here in this forum. It's the pendent stand plans that are set up for half inch mdf which is pretty flat. It's loosing 1/4" depth consistently throughout, so it's cutting only halfway through. When zeroing the Z, I even went a little lower than the surface. What could be going on here? I was thinking maybe the post processor, but I believe I'm using the correct one (albeit it seems it was last updated in 2012)

Here's a quick video of the project...
    https://youtu.be/9oOnizzvZoc

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm having the exact same problem with my new HD5 unit. Cutting only half the depth I specify. Seems limited to a Z-axis issue. I also noticed when I move it manually through the z-axis the reading is double the actual movement of the machine. I need help as well!

Comment

This was posted on the tech support thread by a helpful user. Changing the model number to 4003 on the pendant corrected my issue.

Comment

Good to hear, I’ll give it a shot. Thanks for the tip!

Originally posted by Acosby View Post
        This was posted on the tech support thread by a helpful user. Changing the model number to 4003 on the pendant corrected my issue.

Comment

Hmm... doesn’t look like this worked. My pendant model was actually set to 100. I changed it to 4003 and rebooted. It’s still going half way. I even went back to vcarve, double checked everything and re-exported the files again.

Any other ideas?

Comment

My pendant was set to 100 as well. Changing it to 4003 seems to have corrected the issue when I move the unit manually with the pendant. I have not tried running g-code yet with the new setting. I will try tomorrow and update.

Comment

Can you share your saved Vcarve file so we can look at it and make sure it is not in the file ?

Comment

Yep... here's the last try I did where I separated my tool paths into individual tap files.Profile just stand.tap
                If I'm reading the tap file correctly, I'm seeing it go down incrementally by an 1/8" until it reaches .5.

One strange thing though, when watching it cut, the first cut is about 1/8 of an inch above the material. So, it seems like the starting point is off. I also have a pocket cut that is set to go to 1/4" & that is the only cut that seems to be cutting correctly. I'm using the pendant stand here: https://forums.nextwaveautomation.co...-stand-project
                Attached Files
                Last edited by GaryShaine; 12-28-2019, 10:03 AM.

Comment

I am new to the CNC world but the file looks good to me, What catches my attention is you said the first cut is an air cut, That makes me think it is a Z zero issue, but then you stated the pocket cut is correct, Are you using the same Z Zero for both cuts?
                  I have found the best support for problems on the Vcarve forum located here https://forum.vectric.com/
                  A lot of experience and very helpful individuals, this forum is not heavily supported.
                  Sorry I couldn't help.

Comment

Hi Scott. I appreciate the reply. Yeah, the pocket cut which is correct is the first cut after zeroing it to the top center. Then not does the profile. Since there is not tool change, I’m not re-zeroing it. I’ve tried a lot of different stuff and I’m baffled including re-zeroing. I used to to software support for software that had a lot of the same tools, so I’m very familiar and pretty confident on troubleshooting. However, I know the simplest things can also be illusion. Plus I write a lot of code in my current job, so I don’t find the tap files very hard to read. I’m on pretty much all of the forums now. Lol. I’ll find the answers somehow... and share here in case anyone else’s is having the same issues.
                    Thanks again!

Originally posted by scotttarnor View Post
                    I am new to the CNC world but the file looks good to me, What catches my attention is you said the first cut is an air cut, That makes me think it is a Z zero issue, but then you stated the pocket cut is correct, Are you using the same Z Zero for both cuts?
                    I have found the best support for problems on the Vcarve forum located here https://forum.vectric.com/
                    A lot of experience and very helpful individuals, this forum is not heavily supported.
                    Sorry I couldn't help.

Comment

I had an issue with air cutting on a 3D file my second day using my Piranha but it was operator error! I was running an old box fan on the same circuit and it was causing my z to drift, I removed the box fan from the outlet and have had no issues since then. You file is set up for center of material zero xyz, You said you were " zeroing it to the top center" Could that cause the issue ? Have you tried a center zero and cut the profile first to see what it does ?
                      Good luck and let me know what you find.

Comment

Ok... I figured it out. Of course it would be user error. Lol. I can admit it. So, my issue... the height of my router. At the z axis lowest point, I was 1/4” shy from the bottom of the material. Man... took me long enough to figure that out. #geniusatwork

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                        X