Dust collection and case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust collection and case?

Anyone have the acrylic safety case for their Piranha? Any suggestions on dust collection with it?

I've used the Piranha with their dust system, fed into my Festool CT36 vacuum. It works reasonably well UNLESS you're carving fine edges in fragile material. Otherwise the stiff fibers of the dust shroud tend to push too hard against the material. Granted, this was into MDF and I was carving much smaller than made sense for it (it was a maze pattern as a test).

So now that I've got the case I'm debating possibilities for dust management while the machine's in there.

I can, of course, just run without dust collection and clean up afterwards.

I have a bunch of acrylic and I plan on making one before winter so I can use the cnc in the basement without making a mess. I'll probably make a foam cover for the case to deaden sound as well. You could work something out for dust collection, but you always have to clean up anyways.

Comment

I made my case for Piranha using scrape 1/4" plywood and 1x corners then glued some foam 1/2" insulation on sides and top. I used double-stick tape to secure some thinner insulation 1/8" on door which is hinged and latched top and bottom. Left about 1" gap at bottom for air flow which allows the air from the router rotating to push most of the debris to the sides when using an upcut EM bit which is the application that produces the most debris. Seems to reduce sound by about 75% and allows me to watch my TV in the room.

Comment

here is what I've built for mine. It is a harbor freight 5 drawer tool cart that has been heavily modified. The whole door on the front opens up for access to the machine, the end opposite the dust collector end has (5) 1-inch holes in it right about bed height to make the airflow go right over the bed. and residual that doesn't get picked up collects in the bottom which is also lined with a piece of plexiglass to seal the openings. I have more pictures if interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Sub_CNC View Post
          here is what I've built for mine. It is a harbor freight 5 drawer tool cart that has been heavily modified. The whole door on the front opens up for access to the machine, the end opposite the dust collector end has (5) 1-inch holes in it right about bed height to make the airflow go right over the bed. and residual that doesn't get picked up collects in the bottom which is also lined with a piece of plexiglass to seal the openings. I have more pictures if interested.
          I like the repurposing of the drawer cart. That almost has the look of a popcorn machine, what with the red base and the bright light in that picture. Heh.

I also like the large side opening door. I have the Nextwave box and don't think the single door on the front is sufficient. I'm looking into getting the pieces to move the side piece of acrylic out to a new door, made like the front one. I think two sides of access would be a lot better. I don't know that I'd need it "all the the time" but it'd be easier that wrangling things through just one door.

Comment

I'll add pictures later but I ripped some 2x4 in half and cut a groove in the center of each piece for a piece of acrylic. It raises the machine up 1" which gives a place for the chips to collect. I put acrylic in the back and one of the long sides and on the top ( have an XL). For the remaining two sides , I used thick, clear vinyl and 3m industrial Velcro. I can easily rip off the sides, have full access and it makes clean up MUCH easier than working around acrylic on all sides. When shut, even micro MDF dust is maintained. For clean up, I simply un-Velcro the top of one side, reach in with the shop vac and work my way down to clear out what may fall out by just pulling the pieces off. Once one side is off,, it's a snap to clean up!

Comment

Working...
            X