Received my new Piranha laser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received my new Piranha laser

Everything went together OK. I knew the laser is only 3 watts, but it would have been better with a more powerful version. I like the feature of being able to use it as a router or a laser. I have used 40 watt lasers with the raster function, which means using jpeg files for graphics, also have 2 years experience with Vcarve and the Shark 3D engraving This laser requires vector files. The one problem I do have is that the laser plugs into the router. The router head is moveable when shut off, which it must be when using it with the laser plug-in. When the laser is operating, the router moves, throwing the laser beam off and causing wiggley laser. So I tried locking the router bit head, which was better, but there is enough slop, even when locked to allow the laser assembly to move, especially when the stepper motors change direction.sharply.
    I am hoping Nextwave sees this and will make a small assembly that will fit into the same space as the router, so that it is secure and follows the steppers more closely.

John Check the shaft on the laser to make sure it is tight. Other people have found that the shaft to mount the laser to the router is loose. The router should not be shaking but in may be the laser shaft. If the shaft is loose I would let Next Wave replace it so you don't void the warranty buy opening it to tighten the shaft. My router does not move and the laser does not shake.

Comment

Laser shaft is tight and secure, I dont believe you can put the laser shaft into a router bit shaft and expect it to be totally secure. The router roter head will always turn unless locked. Locking still has slop which is not acceptable with laser beams and movement of the stepper motors, which need 1000th of an inch accuracy. To solve the problem, I mounted the laser shaft into a wood block which I inserted into the clamps and removed the router. The results now are rock solid as shown in the link below.

Comment

Comment

Comment

This forum needs some work as well.

Comment

Hey John Rowe could you post a link to the pic showing the wood block you turned along with dimensions and how you secured the laser. I am new to this forum and just got my Piranha FX this week and building a sound proof cover while I wait for my DeWalt 611 to arrive. Got the laser attachment and could fore see problems with mounting in router. I am a fellow pen turner and checked out your work...NICE!!! I see you learned as I did pricing levels which I sell in the Lewiston, Idaho area and these are prices I get also. Do a lot of Penn State Trinline pens and with wood stabilizer I got from TurnTex I can sell for $15/pen and come out OK.

Comment

I have replaced the router with a wood insert. The results are OK. I use the settings they give in the pdf files in the instructions for the Vcarve.

Comment

This forum is totally useless please send requests to john.rowe73@gmail.com. thanks john

Comment

Working...
                  X