My zero is not zero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My zero is not zero

I set up project to run. The start point is the xy center of the work piece. I use a pointed bit to get it right on that XY point with less than pencil width. The dimension of the work piece is exactly what the drawing is 16X6. So the center is at 3x8, bingo.
    When I cut the piece the cut is biased exactly 1/16” to the left. WTF?
    Is there an adjustment, indexing or something else I need to do to get this to cut what I ask it to cut?
    This is very annoying when you are trying to do, what we bought this for, precision work.

I am going to assume you are using Vcarve, You don't have an off set entered in your material off set do you ? see attached setup.PNG

Comment

Yup vCarve and no offset set. I set the XY datum to the center of the workpiece with zero XY offset.
      I tried a test. Thinking that the act of changing the bit from the pointed one to the 1/8” cutter somehow change the zero point.
      So, I set the center with the 1/8” cutter chucked up in the router. It’s not hard to get the XY dead center on the cross hairs drawn on the workpiece. I double checked everything and when satisfied everything was dead center I ran the job. Again 1/16” to the left. The workpiece is something, in the end, can live with this error. A lot of other things I make no, it has to be dead on.

Comment

Which tool path operation are you using Profile, Vcarve, Profile ?

Comment

Not sure I understand the question. The software driving the CNC is vCarve .tap files.
          I’m trying another test. I’m start the cut 1’16” to the right to see what happens.

Comment

I would jump over to the vectric forum and ask post a copy of your file if you can. There is a lot of experience there that may be able to help you out.
            http://forum.vectric.com/index.php?s...6de277c94451ec

Comment

I was asking which one of these tool operations were you using tool paths.PNG

Comment

Did you figure it out ?

Comment

Haven't been back for a while. All is well.

Comment

kjriley - what was the issue and how did you resolve it?

Comment

Operator error. It was a combination of things from the tap file to the workpiece location.

Comment

Working...
                      X