Best upgrade to my Piranha CNC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best upgrade to my Piranha CNC

The Bosch router on my CNC burned out a week ago. I have used it a lot, and was initially upset I could not find a replacement.

I decided to try and replace it with a spindle motor vs a router. I had not been happy with the mount that came with the piranha.

I bought this spindle for $115, as I limited myself to something that weighed less than the router it was replacing:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did run to a local millshop to get the holes drilled to match the mount block that came with the spindle motor.
    It is AMAZING. Super quiet, I can now have a conversation in the garage while the spindle is operating.
    I can hear music playing. It is wonderful. It did not ship with a power cord, but I cannibalized an old computer cord.

this mount has no slippage, the spindle is super quiet. I wish I had gotten it 2 years ago.
    I am surprised NextWave still ships with routers, this is superior in every way, and comparable price to replacing the bosch with a dewalt router.

The only negative is you might not know the machine is "on", it is that quiet on low speeds. I never had that issue with a router.

added photo:
    56547998239__10D79363-3128-441D-8A48-1235C9554EF9.JPG
    Last edited by tfigel; 12-04-2018, 06:10 PM.

Wow, that is awesome to hear. I just purchased mine a couple weeks ago and I’ve yet to set it up due to all the researching and tutorials. That’s definitely on my list. I just received the correct Dewalt router mount so I’m hoping to get cutting this weekend after I come up with an ideal spoilboard attachment and hold down system. Can you send pics of the spindle attached?

Comment

Wow - that is great to hear!!! I will go down that road with the Bosch gives out - the bearings and brushes are really noisy! What type of collet does the spindle have?

Comment

It came with a set of 13 or so collet's of different sizes. It is really great deal.
        (Although I got a glowforge for Christmas which is a laser cutter, so I have been using that almost exclusively for the last 3 weeks, only one cribbage board on the piranha since Christmas)
        I also have realized I was using the wrong bits to carve, giving me the lines shown in the image above.
        If you use the 1/8" ballnose it will not do that, but it could take you 8 hours to carve a highly detailed piece

Comment

Hmm - something I want to check out... The Bosch is VERY loud!!! For the bits - yeah a ball nose works really good to minimize tool marks. One thing I usually do is rough out the material with an end-mill sized as needed using one .tap file, and then when that file is done, the machine goes to 0,0 and you swap out the bit with the end mill with a ball nose - reset the Z-axis and re start with the final .tap file. I just posted a recent project and I think I had 3 different .tap files / bits for the dual-tab-folio I created.

When I do printed circuit boards - I swap out the tiny bit for the traces, then a drill bit, and the final cutout bit. In very $$$ machines the bits are swapped for you, in smaller ones that have auto tool changers, they usually fail, so I am happy to use the Piranha and manually swap out the bits.

Btw - how do you know the value of the RPMs on the spindle you are using? I see the knob on the power supply - just using a SWAG? I see it comes with an ER 11 Collet
          Last edited by ninetomorrows; 01-09-2019, 04:41 PM.

Comment

I use 3 bits/3 paths for the cribbage boards too.
            1.) Drill
            2.) Clear end mill
            3.) Finish ball nose

re:Rpms --> I do I believe there is a spot on the board I can hook up something to get me that info, but it does not come with it.
            I did not have RPMs on the bosch either, so I did not lose anything there.
            Also there is no on/off switch, it is just jumpered with a wire on the board.

Those are 2 things I might add later.

Comment

[QUOTE=tfigel;n2113]The Bosch router on my CNC burned out a week ago. I have used it a lot, and was initially upset I could not find a replacement.

I decided to try and replace it with a spindle motor vs a router. I had not been happy with the mount that came with the piranha.

I did run to a local millshop to get the holes drilled to match the mount block that came with the spindle motor.

Wondering if you could share more details on the mount. Perhaps a few photos from different angles?
              Thanks,
              Robert

Comment

Here are two photos, one ffom the front one from the side. I removed all the plastic mounting from the bosch (which did not work for me anyway)
                I had the aluminum block the plastic attached to taken to the millshop with the mounting blocks the spindle came with.
                The spindle mounts screw right in from the front (much nicer than the harder to reach screws that came with the piranha)
                Now the spindle motor is MUCH more secure than the bosch ever was. And if you want to move it up or down, it is MUCH easier. (if you are using the Laser attachment, and have Thick wood, you may want to raise it up a little.)

Comment

Originally posted by tfigel View Post
                  Here are two photos, one ffom the front one from the side. I removed all the plastic mounting from the bosch (which did not work for me anyway)
                  I had the aluminum block the plastic attached to taken to the millshop with the mounting blocks the spindle came with.
                  The spindle mounts screw right in from the front (much nicer than the harder to reach screws that came with the piranha)
                  Now the spindle motor is MUCH more secure than the bosch ever was. And if you want to move it up or down, it is MUCH easier. (if you are using the Laser attachment, and have Thick wood, you may want to raise it up a little.)
                  Thanks for the photos... how about some video that shows in int operation as well as how it is mounted? Now that you have had it for a few months are you still satisfied with it? I am only concerned with the mount. It seems like you did the best thing and have a machinist drill the holes needed. Everyone I have asked about this says it is not powerful enough. The 1.5K they recommend is more than double the cost of this one.

Comment

I was very happy with it. I suppose you could get a bigger spindle, but I am not sure how much the piranha can take weight wise.
                    i do not feel the need for it myself. I was using my Glowforge way more than the piranha for the last month, as I just got the glowforge for Christmas.

Comment

Well, I tried it. I Purchased $115 spindle with the controller. I was able to successfully and accurately modify the amount that came with it to mount to my piranha XL. I just found it to be under powered as many said I would. Mainly on Facebook groups. For smaller jobs that I could run very slow it worked very well. Unfortunately I don’t do too many smaller jobs. My definition of a smaller job is one where I use primarily 1/8“ bits not too much depth.
                      i’m glad others have had success with it. I switch back to my Dewalt 611. By the way, I did converse with next wave support and they confirmed any spindle with weights in the 8 to 10 pound range would cause Z creep. So, I could not find another spindle that was between the one sold for $115 and the others that use variable frequency power supplies and weigh 9 to 14 pounds. Some being water cooled and others being air cooled. Just too heavy. once my machine pays for itself and makes a steady profit it will be time to upgrade to a much larger machine.

Comment

Bummer, I’m sorry it was not the huge success for you it was for me. I got a glowforge for Christmas last year, right after I put the spindle on. I’ve used the glowforge much more than the cnc box this year. I did not notice the lack of power relative to the Bosch, but I only used 1/8” bits.

Comment

It has been a while since I have visited the forum. Now that you have had the glowforge for a while, what do you think? I purchased a K-40 laser and love it. I do wish the bed was larger, but I have actually made some money from it. I am kicking things up for my business and hopefully will see some profit in the not too distant future.

Comment

Working...
                          X