Jus' Ponderin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jus' Ponderin'

Does anybody have any idea why I lose steps on the X Axis ( and ONLY on the X Axis ) on almost every project I make ?

Almost certainly something is loose. Do you get any movement if you take hold of the x-axis lead screw and try to move it left/right? If you do - the locking bolt is loose - from the motor shaft to the lead screw. Push it away from the motor, and tighten it. I use wood glue in the threads to help lock it in - but not required. Can also look at the carriage to see if there's something loose in there.

Comment

Nothing, absolutely nothing, is loose. I have checked EVERY screw,nut, bolt, or fastener on my piranha. It does NOT seem to be a mechanical problem. But, kbfarms, thanks for the response.

Comment

Well, if you're absolutely sure that mechanically you are 'good' - and even better if you can duplicate this on a job that doesn't take much time/material to run -

Power down the control box, swap the X cable with the Y and vice versa. At this point, your Y axis and X axis are reversed, and the job will be 'backwards' (like looking in a mirror). But - run the job and if you have the same problem on the Y axis, you've narrowed this down to the control box, cable, or motor - contact NWA support with that info and go from there. Electrical can happen, but of course the most likely culprits are mechanical. Good luck.

Comment

Just wanted to Thank you for this post; especially kbfarms. I could move the gantry manually about 1/8" but couldn't see the adjustment. With your note I was able to see the recessed set screws on the motor. It didnt' appear loose, but I 'tightened' it anyway - Problem solved. Thanks very much.

Comment

Working...
          X