Router power supply not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router power supply not working

I recently received the CNC Piranha XL I ordered a couple weeks ago. Today, I was experimenting with ti to try to learn how it works. I received a power supply that indicates it is for the router only. I did not receive any documentation that told me how this was supposed to work so I gave it my best shot. It has an RCA plug on the power supply and the machine came with an RCA cable. There are two RCA plugs on the control panel, one of which is white and there is a white RCA cable associated with the X, Y & Z axis plugs so I plugged into that cable into the white plug. There was then an unused RCA plug on the control panel so I assumed it was to receive the cable from the power supply. I once again assumed it was so power to the router would be turned on when I started the machining process. I was wrong. No matter what I did, the router would not power up. I was able to plug the router directly into the power strip and it worked but I was unable to use the power supply provided. Any thoughts on what is going on?

check to make sure your post for the Piranha XL has a m03 in or the router will not turn on.

Comment

Originally posted by woodworker319 View Post
      check to make sure your post for the Piranha XL has a m03 in or the router will not turn on.
      I don't understand what you mean. Post for Piranha XL? What is a m03? Please explain further what you mean as I am befuddled.

Comment

Open up your .tap file in a text editor if you do not see a m03 in the tap file it will not turn on your router. If there is not one see if there is another post for the xl. You can edit the post
        in a text editor and insert a m03. Also make sure your router is tuned on. When you run your program tap file when it see's the m03 it will turn on your router.

Comment

Is there a way for m03 to be inserted when creating the file?
          Where do you place it in the file?
          Last edited by creativescrollworks; 02-19-2018, 07:34 PM.

Comment

I had the same problem with the remote not starting the router, then I noticed the RCA cable they sent me had plastic pin on one end which did not allow the DC voltage thru and let the router turn on. I replaced the cable with a spare one I had and it now works.

Comment

I'm still trying to get my XL working and had the same problem with the router not coming on. I measured 5 volts coming out of the cable to the router power supply when the test .tap program was running so I knew the cable was good and the switching voltage was being sent. I opened the power supply housing (4 phillips screws) and did not get any voltage to the SSR. Volt meter showed that the red wire from the center of the RCA plug was getting 5 volts DC but there was no voltage at the SSR. Turns out that they had tightened the connection onto the insulation instead of onto the bare stripped wire. I loosened the SSR connection on the red wire and put the connection to the bare end of the wire. Problem fixed. Saved me sending the router power supply to them for replacement. Still haven't carved anything but the test program worked after that. Progress is measured in small victories I guess.

Comment

I also had the same problem with the Router Power Control Unit not working with my Piranha XL when it arrived last week. After trying each of the solutions/suggestions above I still had no luck, and reached out to the Nextwave support staff. I received immediate and excellent support from their staff with this answer to my router control issue:
                "If the post processor was not correctly selected, then the router will not start/stop automatically. You will want to be sure that the post processor selected when creating the .tap file is CNCShark-USB arcs inch (*.tap). Any other post processor will not fire the router."

I responded with a clarifying question to insure it was ok for me to use a "shark" post processor with my "piranha" CNC, and was assured the only significant difference between the two post processors was the absence of the RPCU support in the piranha version.

I have since run several CNC jobs using the "Shark" post processor without incident, other than my router automatically turning on and off!

Comment

Thanks HeartwoodsEdge! Worked like a charm.

Comment

That is a little problem with lack of documentation. I have had the same issue. On my very first project, it went to the start point and started to burrow into the wood before the router motor turned on. Snapped a nice bit before I could stop it. I have been using it manually not connected to the accessory power supply. I'll try selecting "Shark" for my Piranah. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

All of a sudden my router power supply stopped working - out of the blue for no rhyme or reason. Router is OK as it turns on/off OK. CNC unit seems to be operting properly. I have been using the CNCShark-USB arcs inch (*.tap) post processor all along. I will fuss with it some more and then call support to see if they've any answers.

EDIT UPDATE: Found the problem. It was the outlet. When plugging the router controller plug into a different outlet solved the problem. I've never had an outlet suddenly quit working. What's even more strange is that other tools plug into it and work find. It just stopped liking the router adapter.
                      Last edited by gsrider; 03-11-2019, 04:28 PM. Reason: Problem Solved

Comment

Did you check the fuse for the 120v plug in the back of the control box?

Comment

I am having exactly the opposite problem. My router never shuts off. Support has been helpful but say that I will need to send it in and probably have the board replaced. Anybody out there have any ideas?

Comment

A late reply but it happened to me once I removed it from the controller and did a factory reset, Has worked perfect ever since.

Comment

Working...
                            X