Adjusting the cut depth(z zero)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting the cut depth(z zero)

Ok I'm sure that I'm just missing something simple..... I hope, but I am trying to make a plaque for my parents 50th anniversary and I'm running out of time to complete the trial and error routine. I have 3 different size fonts on the plaque and the "50" cuts beautiful (4" size), the dates are ok (.75" hit) and then the names that are the smallest font (.5") just do not cut fully. They look like old school stencils versus the true font I'm using. I'll attach some pictures so this makes sense. My question is when I use the touch plate to get my z zero the bit will cut down into the face of the plaque leaving stray lines. I'm sure it's something easy or at least I'm hoping but I have wasted quite a few scrap piece of wood trying to get it to work yet it doesn't. Also if I just need to step the smallest font cut down deeper in the program I'm doing something wrong, please help. Thanks

You did not post pictures but if I understand right you need to measure the actual thickness of your touch plate and make sure it is entered correctly in the controller. Make sure you are using the latest version of VCarve because it solves some depth isues some people are having. If you post your .crv file I'll look at it and see if I see a problem with it.

Comment

My pictures are over limit. I'll shrink them and try to attach it. I'll also check to make sure I'm updated. Thanks.

Comment

Do you think it could have something to do with the bed (and your work piece) not being flat or not parallel the to the plane the machine thinks it's working in?

Comment

Is there a way to make sure that the bed is absolutely flat? The work piece seemed flat when I put a flat edge across the top but should I be using more than the 2 hold downs? I know different bits cut different and I only had the original 2 that came with the system, in the process of getting new various ones for the machine.

Comment

Meb, wonder if Mark could be having a problem similar to one I had earlier (i.e., with such small text, the bit simply would not cut deeper because it was a ball nose being used). I had to change the way I was pathing text, so I could use an end mill instead of a ball nose, to cut the smaller letters.

Comment

You could machine the bed flat, which would also make it parallel to the work area but then you'll have a lip separating the back 6" of the table from the front of the table because the mill can't go back that far. Another thing is to add a sacrificial board to the bed, and machine it flat and parallel after it's bolted to the unflat work bed. Hopefully it won't change shape over time, but you can always machine it again. The problem with that is that you'll be giving up part of your 3" Z work area, so there is no perfect answer.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I double checked all the bolts holding the bed but I think it had more to do with the bit (used the 90* 3/8") and when I used a 1/8 and a 1/16 it worked a lot better and got better detail on letters. I think most of my issues are being the newb with my 1st CNC and getting used to it.

Comment

Using a v-carve toolpath works different ways with different bits. The v-carve toolpath was designed so that both sides of the design will be the limits of cut for the bit being used. It will not allow an end mill to be used because a bit that is larger in diameter than the design width would cut nothing because it can not fit between the vectors and a bit that will fit between would never contact the sides of the design and just keep cutting through the board. There is a flat depth option that would limit the depth of cut for the smaller end mill but they still will not allow you to use the v-carve toolpath. You can use a pocketing toolpath with the smaller end mill but it has to fit between all the vectors of the pocket or areas in the design will not be cut. You can use a V-bit, ball nose or some other select bits with the v-carve toolpath but they only cut as deep as the toolpath will allow the tool to go. In the tool data base bits that are not compatible with the v-carve toolpath will be grayed out so you can't select them.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X