Digitizer problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digitizer problems

Hopefully someone can tell me where I am obviously going wrong. I finally got the digitizer going and all looked well until I went to open the file saved to my jumpdrive. The file is a .DNW and I cannot figure out how to import it back to vCarve Desktop or even see it on the touchscreen panel, it shows a blank USB drive.

What am I missing? TIA

Tia,

I am not sure about the file extension .DNW, some .DNW files are graphics files related to EMPOP DrawNetWork but are proprietary to their company, but it looks like it may be some file extension Next Wave came up with, maybe to use with the CNC Piranha. The reason your CNC Piranha does not show the file on the touch screen is that it does not recognize the .DNM file extension.

Normally when using the probe with a CNC Shark you save the file as .stl which is a 3d file type. Then you can import the file into VCarve software. I know Next Wave was working on making the probe compatible with the CNC Piranha and maybe this is the new extention the came up with. 1 thing you might try is copying the file then changing the extension on the file from .DNW to .stl. Then try the following.

Start a new project in VCarve. Click on the "Modeling" tab at the bottom of the menu. Click on the left hand icon "Import a Component or 3D Model" then select the file. It should open in VCarve so you can generate toolpaths for the project. Save your .tap files to thumb drive and import these into the Piranha to carve the project.

If this does not work then contact Next Wave Technical Support, they may still be developing the software/firmware for the probe.

Comment

I thought about trying that this morning, meb, after getting some rest. Unfortunately, changing the file extension didn't fool the software and I got an error. I went back also to look more closely at the setup screen for running the digitizer and it even lists the file name to be created as "DIG_0001.DNW" before I start the system running. I cannot find anywhere on the touchscreen to change the extension before it is created. I did find some documentation for the CNCShark that indicates that file should be .stl when generated but I can't find any documentation for the digitizer on the Piranha FX. Has anyone else tried using their digitizer on the FX?

Thanks In Advance for any help

Comment

After doing a little more research this is what I found. They are still working on a new control panel for the computer that adds functionality to the laser and digitizer, CNC CP V1.xx. It will convert the .DNW file to a .stl file for use with the VCarve software. It will also allow you to use your laser to engrave raster images not just vectors. They just need to finish their programming and write the manual.
        Last edited by meb; 10-13-2015, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• rgill
          rgill commented
          Editing a comment
          If the documentation they sent with the Piranha FX is any indicator, I would not hold my breath
          for anything approaching easy to use, not contradictory, or thorough.

The 3d software can import the .dnw file format but the control panel software is still not available to convert it for use in Vcarve or Aspire..

Comment

You need to use the control panel software. AND you need to have the PC directly connected to the Piranha controller via USB. At least for the first go-round, as there's apparently some overly paranoid copy-protection involved that won't just let you use the software otherwise.

Comment

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge when using the probe with a CNC Shark you save the file as .stl which is a 3d file type. Then you can import the file into VCarve software. I know Next Wave was working on making the probe compatible with the CNC Piranha and maybe this is the new extention the came up with. You can copy the file then changing the extension.

board assembly
            Last edited by CoraDias; 05-25-2018, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X