7 Watt laser frustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 Watt laser frustration

My wife purchased my 7W laser directly from Nextwave for Christmas. I purchased the laser module for my Aspire software to work with my SD510. I spent a couple of weeks trying to get the laser to work including opening support tickets with both companies. Both assured me Vectric and Nextwave were working to fix the incompatibility as a priority. I also tried to get the laser to work with Ready2Laser without success. It is now 11 June. Vectric has removed the Nextwave CNC machine from the machines that its laser module supports. It has been over six months with no discernible progress. Multiple supports tickets for both companies keep saying same thing working it as a priority issue.

For your customers that sent over $1,000 to Nextwave for the laser hardware, and $50 to Vectric for the laser module, both companies performance has been poor. Prior to this interaction I thought both companies were world class with excellent customer service supporting your customers. This transaction has changed my mind. If this was going to take 6+ months you should have told us and we could have returned the product. I should have immediately sent the laser back as you clearly released it before it was ready. If your company had any concept of customer support you should offer to take these laser modules back until it is a supported product.
    Last edited by BillConroy; 06-11-2021, 06:43 PM.

Bill,
    I completely agree with the frustration you are currently feeling. I too have had major issues trying to get the laser to work. Over the last few weeks I have been able to gather some information that may fill in some of the questions you have. I have been working with both Ventric and Nextwave.

Here is what we have. There were a couple issues Vectric was trying to resolve. The first one was hatching for fill. On some projects if you decided to fill in lettering or logos etc, you would see a double burn in some areas. This problem was sent to Vectric to correct. Their resolution took some time, as they had to basically rewrite how the laser toolpaths were being generated. I received a photo of one of my projects that had this problem, and it had been corrected. The solution for this is included in Vectrics release of Version 11. (Aspire/Vcarve).

The second problem is photos. This is a lot more complicated then the hatching issue. This goes way above my pay grade, but here is the basics as I understand them. The language Vectric uses to create all the projects are in GRBL, Nextwave equipment is more advanced then that language, this causes issues. I know Vectric and Nextwave are currently working on calibration files, the 2 watt laser is almost complete based on what I saw. I have tested the 7 watt file, along with a test Post Processor. There is still some work to be done to stop the over burn with photos, but they are real close.

I do agree with your opinion they probably should have waited until all this current testing was done, but it happened. I do know I have been able to produce some nice projects using the "Fake Laser" tool setup. This doesn't effect photos, but it does allow you to do other projects with your laser. My luck with Ready2Raster is similar to yours, in I don't use it. My results were too messed up, but I blame myself, not the software.

With Vectrics Version 11 due to be out before the end of the month (barring any unforeseen problems), I anticipate Nextwave will have the new post processors soon after. At least I hope. But I do know for certain they are working on these issues, and are real close to correcting them.

This may not help much, but it's what I know.

Auger (Kevin)
    Last edited by Auger; 07-18-2021, 09:16 AM.

Comment

I have been having similar frustrations with my 7W laser-Vectric-NextWave post processor. Thank you for the updates on the progress between Next Wave and Vectric.

I have tried Ready2Raster also - I agree that the problems are mainly due to my lack of experience with the program. I have voiced my opinion and requested more complete training be made available for the Ready2Raster program. I hope training is made available soon.

Richard

Comment

Thanks for the info. As an aside GRBL is an open-source interface language used for 3D machine control. It is as close to a standard as there is in this class of machines. it is found in 3d cutters, 3d printers, and cnc/milling machines, etc. NextWave appears to have has chosen to go a different route. Some times vendors choose this route because they can add some capability the open-source software does not provide. Sometimes they do it to lock customers into their platform. Pro is they can do whatever they like in terms of product capability and enhancements and are not subject to the schedules of 3rd party supporting players. Con is the delay or possible inability to use best of breed software products with the hardware. Vectric is an example. In my opinion, their software is very good. To target the maximum number of machines, Vectric codes against grbl. Understanding that Nextwave has gone away from GRBL, this situation makes total sense. Vectric will prioritize their software to work with as many machines as possible. They would do their grbl interfaces first then get around to non-standard machines as their schedule permits. Nextwave will need to create a new post processor that takes standard grbl and transform the instructions into something their firmware can process correctly.

Long story short, it appears Nextwave has decided to head a different direction than many of their competitors, This means they can go faster in areas they prioritize. It also means we are locked into Nextwave for any future capabilities. If I was aware of this configuration I would have selected a different cnc vendor. At my level in my cnc journey, the software is much more critical to a successful product than the hardware. I purchased Shark based upon demos of the Vectric software and the ability to start generating products right away. The Nextwave strategy is perfectly viable. New users need to understand that they are giving up potential enhancements the 3rd party software vendors are creating or at a minimum a delay in access.

I hope that eventually they work out the post processor so I can use the $1,000+ equipment purchased last November. I also wish Nextwave the best but. The only commodity product I am aware of that has flourished in the face of open source is the Apple MAC. Everything else has seen the hardware align on standards or go the way of the dodo. Software makes the hardware go. Limiting the number of folks programming against your platform has led to the eventual demise of many core products.

Comment

Working...
        X