A test of the digital duplicator with the Piranha FX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A test of the digital duplicator with the Piranha FX

For an upcoming project I need to create a number of identical small models. I figured that I would add a Digital Duplicator to my Piranha FX to help with the intended task. A small test "head" was sculpted from Fimo clay and baked to harden it for 3D scanning. On an area of 1.125" by 1" I set the resolution at .005" to pick up the detail that I will need. The Piranha FX moved along at it for 51 hours! Quality takes time. Bottom line...the system worked beautifully and the project can move along as planned.

Follow up pics...

Comment

Thank you for sharing, I have wondered how well the duplicator performed, 51 hours WOW !

Comment

Scott, there are a number of factors affecting scan times with a touch type probe. In addition to the most obvious culprit (resolution), the depth of the scan can really add to the time factor. This little head is just under 3/4" thick so I had the probe lift up 3/4" (for clearance) between each scanned point then go back down for the actual scan. This really slowed things down! I used the recommended 10 inches per minute for the movement. I will be experimenting with how fast the probe can move without compromising the scan data. The size of the ruby probe tip will affect scan detail and rate.

I searched all over the internet for a real review of the Next Wave Digital Duplicator but had no luck. I had used a similar type of probe with my older Roland Modela machine and was pleased with the scans on it. So, I decided to take a chance on the one offered by Next Wave. The goal for me was to easily get a detailed usable scan. The length of time to create the scan is not as critical to me as the scan quality. The little Piranha FX did a beautiful job chugging along for 51 hours with zero complaints. I am extremely pleased with my setup as it easily does what I want to do.

Comment

Don't get me wrong I am impressed with the results, If I was not currently looking to buy a new table saw this would be my next purchase.

Comment

Working...
          X